The Government of Malawi with support from its cooperating partners (Norway, DFID, UNDP and Japan) is implementing a comprehensive National Climate Change Programme which aims at mainstreaming and addressing climate change issues in the national development agenda. The programme period is 2013 – 2016.
The Programme will enable the Government of Malawi to climate-proof the policies, strategies and plans of the sectors of the economy most directly affected by climate change, in order to create an enabling policy and regulatory environment within which vulnerable communities will be empowered to adapt to these challenges in harmony with the environment.
The Programme will catalyse a change in approach from reactive adaptation to making proactive adaptation as a core component in all development, particularly in aspects of decentralized planning, notably in agriculture / land management. Increased financing for adaptation and mitigation will be sought through operationalization of the National Climate Change Investment Plan and financing mechanisms established through exploring the Sector wide approach. The Programme will assist Malawi to secure financial support for adaptation and mitigation from the various emerging markets / funds, while providing assistance to the country to move towards a low carbon growth path. In 2014 the Programme will specifically focus on: implementing downstream adaptation and mitigation activities, development of primary school teaching materials on climate change, development of National Adaptation Plan road map and Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions for different sectors.
- Climate Change mainstreamed in policies, development plans and programmes at national level and implemented in 15 disaster-prone districts
- Data and Knowledge on the impacts of climate change collection and made accessible to decision makers in government, private sector and civil society
- Coordination mechanisms and implementation arrangements for climate change established and used at national level and disaster-prone districts
- Implementation modalities and Financing mechanisms for National Climate Change Investment plan established and operationalized at national and district levels
Lead Coordinating Partner:
The programme is being coordinated by the Environmental Affairs Department in the Ministry of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining (MoNREM). The Ministry of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining is the Lead Coordinating Partner, assuming overall responsibility and accountability of the programme.
Other Implementing Partners:
The Programme is being implemented by a number of partners including: Department of Climate Change and Meteorological Services, Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development (MoLHUD), Ministry of Agriculture, and Irrigation (MoAI), Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DoDMA), Ministry of Health (MoH), University of Malawi and Malawi Institute of Education (MIE).
- Capacity Needs Assessment for Climate Change Management Structures in Malawi
- Sector Policies Response to Climate Change in Malawi: A Comprehensive Gap Analysis
- Training Needs Assessment for Climate Change Management Structures in Malawi
- National Environment and Climate Change Communication Strategy:2012–2016